Gabes is a researcher, artist, theologian, speaker, and psychotherapist in training, and her life’s work is to demonstrate how there’s nothing “post-” about post-colonialism. She recently completed a Master’s in Theology and Culture at The Seattle School of Theology and Psychology, focusing on colonialism and is completing her Master’s in Counseling Psychology.
Gabes currently works for The Allender Center writes poetry and music. She’s independently produced 3 albums of original music and has toured in Southeast Asia, Chicago, San Francisco, and Seattle.
In this discussion, we learn
- Gabes’ journey and what brought her to her work and mission of decolonization,
- The history of the Philippines from before colonization
- What the pre-colonial Filipina was like and womanhood before oppression
- The Grieving Process around the “Inferiority Complex” and Rejection-of-the-self
- The Reclaiming Process: Reclaiming the colonized parts of our identities and embracing and loving what is our own
Find her on: GabesTorres.com | Instagram @gabestorres