Jeanelle Castro is an online food & travel content creator. Through her videos and storytelling, Jeanelle showcases Filipino cuisine while sharing her unique experiences as a 1.5 generation Filipina-American. She also brings her audience along on her journey as she travels and explores different dishes and flavors from around the world. You can find “JeanellEats” on Youtube, Instagram, and TikTok. Since May 2021, Jeanelle’s YouTube channel has exploded from 21,000 to 375,000 subscribers in 6 months.
Themes & Topics:
- How JeanellEats experienced an exponential growth across social media platforms within the past few months— 20k to 375k subscribers on YouTube.
- How Jeanelle presents her content in a way that encourages non-Filipinos to view Filipino dishes as a familiar concept, rather than a foreign or exotic one.
- Managing the analysis paralysis that comes with the noise of conflicting advice.
- Red flags to avoid when an opportunity or business connection seems too good to be true.
- How staying connected to one’s mission will help cut out anything unnecessary that will waste one’s energy, such as self-doubt.
Importance of Episode:
- The importance of knowing who you are, listening to your intuition, and mitigating the fallout of self-sabotage.
- There are unpredictable twists and turns on the journey of pursuing one’s passion, and achieving success is not a linear process.
- Jeanelle speaks about how doing what makes you happy first will allow the space for productivity to happen naturally.
- Acknowledging the cultural taboo of money being a huge factor in the sustainability of one’s content creation journey.
- “Start practicing asking for help and know that there are people out there who will support you. You have to stick with those people and listen to them.”
- “I can give so much more than I ever could before and that started with having to take care of myself first and not feel guilty about it.”
- “Don’t assume that you know how things will turn out. A lot of our suffering comes from when we expect things to happen a certain way.”
- “I was starting to get discouraged. Then all of a sudden just green arrows up up up. And then those arrows stayed there and they kept going up up up up. I did it. It’s happening. I’m in the algorithm now.”
- “From this experience, I learned to never do business services for exchange and always trust my gut. If someone wants my services or talents, they can just pay me.”
Follow @Jeanelleats on Youtube, IG, and TikTok!
Big thanks to our sponsor Cambio & Co. is a Filipino jewelry company that wants you to Wear Your Heritage and celebrate your roots, everyday without apology. 100% of Cambio & Co.’s jewelry is designed and handcrafted by artisans in the Philippines, blending traditional Philippine artistry with modern designs.
From Filipino jewelry that celebrates the pre-colonial craft of gold filigree, to baroque pearl earrings from the South Philippine Sea, each piece helps keep traditional craftsmanship alive and connects you to the homeland. Wear Your Heritage and shop the collection at www.shopcambio.co
Orders ship locally from Toronto and New York, and when you use the discount code FOTRpodcast, you’ll get 10% off your first purchase.